Saturday, July 05, 2008

Hostels are Awesome

After staying in a hotel with my brother in Mexico City, I've moved onto hostels in Acapulco and Puerto Escondido for mostly economical reasons--but I couldn't be more pleased. My bus arrived in Puerto Escondido very early yesterday morning. I crashed for a few hours, awoke, and found my way to the kitchen. Awaiting me there was a table full of fellow travelers my age recollecting the night they'd just had. Despite having just arrived here, they took me in and I also immediately had a new group of friends. After chatting for a while, I followed two other guys to the nearby supermarket and got some lunch food. We returned and over lunch, plans to surf--something I'd never done before--precipitated. One of the guys going with us even knew enough about the sport to give us the basics and spare us having to take lessons.

We spent nearly 5 hours on the beach with our $8 rentals, getting to know each other, taking in the sun and catching a few waves. We made it to the beach at high tide, where there were very few surfable waves that were breaking. We, nonetheless, had a great afternoon and returned to the hostel with plans to have a Fourth of July BBQ, despite the fact that there were very few Americans and actually more Britons. We had a little trouble finding coals at the supermarket and then lighting them, but the BBQ was one of the best I've had in a while, especially at $8 a person with beer. At 11:30, the hostel kicked us all out, at which point, over a dozen of us perused the local bars. All went very well--what better way to spend the Fourth? I've found travelers in both hostel's I've stayed in have been very friendly, outgoing and easy to get along with. It's great to meet people from all types of backgrounds and to find some familiarity in such a foreign place. In the one here, I've upgraded to a private room, which includes my own bathroom and TV at a very reasonable price.

No photos today, but I'm planning on getting up early tomorrow morning to catch the surfers. Puerto Escondido's "Mexican Pipeline" is known for some of the best surfing in North America. Off to Oaxaca City at 10:45 in the morning, where I am doing a home stay with a local family and beginning a Spanish Language course on Monday.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah that was an awesome day, and a great crew. Good luck in oaxaca!

7:23 PM  
Blogger Than Volk said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home