Saturday, July 19, 2008

Mexicano Tiempo

There's a saying here that things happen on "Mexican Time." Which is to say that life proceeds at a leisurely pace where what we consider "timeliness" isn't much of a priority. There was a indigenous dance performance that I went to last night to take photos of. The schedule listed the event as beginning at 6:00 PM. I got there at 5:45. The few seats they had were all full. The light was great for taking photos, though the performance itself was under a tent (Oaxaca loves its rain) with no stage lighting. At 6:05 they started setting up a stage. When things seemed like they might start at 6:30, one of the workers got on stage with a bucket. He started painting the stage. Great. What's the saying about waiting for paint to dry on a wall? It wasn't until 7:07, when the light had all but failed me, that they took the stage.



I just ordered pineapple juice. The drink the waitress brought me was red and I was told it was "fresa" (strawberry). It tastes like watermelon. Not sure what went wrong there? I ordered a Fresca (the grapefruit-flavored soda that's a thousand times better here, where it comes in a glass bottle and is made with cane sugar, not corn syrup) yesterday. The waiter confused it with the cafe's similarly spelled drink (fresa, a strawberry smoothie). That substitute was good; this one no es bueno.

Here's some photos from yesterday. Again, I'm withholding my favorite photos.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home